Your body is constantly burning calories to keep your involuntary neurological system functioning, which includes breathing and digesting food, among other life-sustaining tasks. You’ve probably heard that the more your muscle mass is, the more calories your body burns at rest.
However, did you know that you can also burn fat and calories while you sleep? Experts suggest that with some moderate adjustments to your everyday routine, you may maximize your body’s natural fat-burning capacity while you sleep.
Follow these simple recommendations from nutrition and health experts to boost fat burning while you sleep and enhance your overall sleep quality.
1. Eat More Good Fats
Increasing your consumption of good fats may prevent weight gain, but that might appear paradoxical for most people. Because they believe that every type of fat is bad for health. Therefore, A 12-month study linked a diet rich in healthy fats from nuts and olive oil to greater long-term weight loss than a diet low in fat. The findings of this study imply that some foods contain good fats that promote weight loss instead of increasing weight.
Another study connected olive oil-enriched diets to higher reductions in body weight and abdominal fat compared to olive oil-free diets
Moreover, increasing consumption of trans fats, a type of lipid commonly found in processed or fried foods, is connected with greater long-term weight gain. Additionally, some foods like seeds, almonds, coconut oil, and avocados and seeds are examples of fats that are beneficial to your health.
However, keep in mind that healthy fat is still calorie dense, therefore it is essential to limit your consumption. So, instead of eating more fat overall, try substituting the above healthy options with fried foods, processed products, and refined oils.
2. Consume Sleep-Inducing Snacks
Try consuming foods rich in the amino acid tryptophan, such as poultry, eggs, and turkey. That is because this protein may facilitate sleep and relaxation. According to the experts, proteins allow the body to utilize more calories during the digestive process compared to carbohydrates, which could further boost the body’s fat-burning capacity overnight.
3. Resistance Training
While getting enough shut-eye on its own will help you lose weight, doing specific activities before bed can speed up the process. That is why Pre-bedtime resistance exercise is a highly efficient technique. Increasing your metabolic rate is crucial for losing fat, and resistance training is a great way to do it.
Indeed, research published in the “International Journal of Sports Nutrition” found that individuals who were doing resistance training reported a significantly higher resting metabolic rate for an average of sixteen hours following their workout. .
However, this session of resistance training does not need not be extensive. Even if your weight-lifting exercise does not push you to your limits but leaves you out of breath, it is sufficient. This should be followed by a casein shake; as it will promote constant muscle healing throughout the night as you sleep.
4. Consume Cottage Cheese Prior to Going to Bed
When it comes to dieting, eating before bed is commonly considered forbidden, but this depends on the type of food consumed. Completely avoiding eating before bed can have a contradictory effect, as those who wake up with feelings of hunger are much more prone to overeat at breakfast.
Cottage cheese is an excellent choice for a pre-bedtime snack because it contains a high concentration of casein protein. Cottage cheese delivers the amino acid tryptophan as a bonus.
According to research published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research”, tryptophan reduces the time required to fall asleep and improves the quality of sleep. This indicates that cottage cheese will stave off hunger during the night and guarantee a sufficient quantity of sleep. What’s not to like
5. Season Your Foods
Experts recommend consuming more, cayenne pepper, and other types of spicy peppers to promote thermogenesis (fat burning). It has been established that the capsaicin included in these foods has a thermogenic impact, allowing your body to burn more fat and calories.
6. Drink A Casein Shake
Proteins like whey are a great option for giving you a boost after a workout, but because they are quickly absorbed, they aren’t as good before bed. If you want to burn more fat at night, choose “casein protein” instead.
Casein is a type of protein that requires about six and eight hours to be broken down by the body. This implies that your metabolism will remain active during the whole night, allowing you to wake up feeling energized rather than hungry.
The fat-burning abilities of casein were supported by a Dutch study that found an increase in nighttime metabolic rate as a result of daily ingestion of the protein. Similarly, Maastricht University researchers discovered that casein improves nighttime protein synthesis, which aids in muscle repair and strengthening.
Considering that “each additional pound of muscle consumes 30-35 calories each day, this added benefit of this super-protein should not be overlooked”.
7. Have More Sleep
Indeed, one of the best ways to lose weight while sleeping is to sleep more often. Modern lifestyles are so stressful that sleep is most commonly neglected, yet if you still trying to lose weight, this must alter. Don’t trust us?
According to research published in the “Archives of Internal Medicine”, overweight individuals sleep sixteen minutes less per day compared to their normal-weight counterparts. It may not seem like an extremely long period, but this discrepancy will grow over time.
So, the question, “why does sleep help keep you slim” The answer has everything to do with leptin and ghrelin regulates energy levels and suppresses appetite, whereas ghrelin promotes hunger and frequently triggers the desire to eat.
According to the findings of a study conducted at the “University of Wisconsin”, individuals who slept more had lesser “ghrelin” and higher “leptin” levels, which aided in hunger control during the day.
8. Hit Your H20 Quota
“Stay hydrated! It has been demonstrated that drinking at least eight glasses of water every day increases metabolism. Additionally, ice-cold water compels your body to burn more calories to bring it to body temperature, thereby improving your metabolism.
9. Improve Your Cardio Workouts
Aerobic exercise, usually known as cardio, is one exercise that is most commonly performed by people. It is a type of exercise that strengthens the lungs and heart especially. Cardiovascular exercise may be one of the best options to increase fat-burning and weight loss. Examples of cardiovascular exercises include cycling, walking, swimming, and running.
A study of 15 researchers, for instance, linked higher aerobic exercise to decreased abdominal fat in middle-aged women.
Other studies have demonstrated that aerobic exercise might improve muscle fiber mass and decrease abdominal fat, body fat, and waist circumference. The majority of research advises 150–300 minutes per week of “moderate to intense activity”, or around “20–40 minutes of cardio per day”
10. Sip White Tea
White tea, which is obtained from the same plant as green tea, is loaded with antioxidants and therapeutic properties, including fat loss, but is not as well-known as its green counterpart. Studies have connected white tea extract to the inhibition of fat cell formation and the promotion of fat breakdown. So, replace your morning cup of coffee with white tea to promote weight loss while sleeping.
11. Eat Carbohydrates During the Day
Take up a lot of your calories, especially carbohydrates, during the day and fewer in the early evening. You will enter sleep with less insulin in your blood, allowing your body to metabolize fat and more energy while you sleep.
12. Take Probiotics Regularly
Probiotics are a type of helpful bacteria present in the gut. It has been demonstrated that these bacteria play a role in everything from immunity to mental wellness
Increasing your consumption of probiotics through diet or supplements may also stimulate fat oxidation and aid in long-term weight management.
A meta-analysis of 15 trials revealed that persons who took probiotics had considerably greater declines in BMI, body weight, and fat percentage than those who took a placebo
Another small trial showed that supplementation with probiotics helped persons on a high-calorie high-fat, diet avoid weight gain or fat gain
Certain Lactobacillus probiotic strains may be very helpful in promoting fat or weight loss.
Taking pills is a simple and handy approach to obtaining a daily dosage of concentrated probiotics. Other probiotic-rich foods include natto, kefir, tempeh, kombucha, sauerkraut, and kimchi.
13. Drink Coffee
Caffeine in coffee stimulates the brain, increases metabolism, and enhances breakdown of the fatty acids.
Caffeine has also been shown to boost fat burning during aerobic activity, particularly in persons who are untrained or sedentary.
A meta-analysis of 12 research found an association between increasing coffee consumption and a decreased risk of obesity, particularly in men. Another study with 2,623 individuals found a correlation between increased caffeine use and greater success in maintaining weight loss
To maximize the health advantages of coffee, avoid adding a lot of sugar and cream to your coffee. Alternatively, either use black coffee or make coffee with a splash of milk.
- Mancini JG, Filion KB, Atallah R, Eisenberg MJ. Systematic Review of the Mediterranean Diet for Long-Term Weight Loss. Am J Med. 2016 Apr;129(4):407-415.e4. doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2015.11.028. Epub 2015 Dec 22. PMID: 26721635.
- Zamora Zamora F, Martínez Galiano JM, Gaforio Martínez JJ, Delgado Rodríguez M. Aceite de oliva y peso corporal. Revisión sistemática y metaanálisis de ensayos controlados aleatorizados [Olive Oil and Body Weight. Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials]. Rev Esp Salud Publica. 2018 Nov 21;92:e201811083. Spanish. PMID: 30461730.
- Liu X, Li Y, Tobias DK, Wang DD, Manson JE, Willett WC, Hu FB. Changes in Types of Dietary Fats Influence Long-term Weight Change in US Women and Men. J Nutr. 2018 Nov 1;148(11):1821-1829. doi: 10.1093/jn/nxy183. PMID: 30247611; PMCID: PMC6209808.
- Alberga AS, Prud’homme D, Kenny GP, Goldfield GS, Hadjiyannakis S, Gougeon R, Phillips P, Malcolm J, Wells G, Doucette S, Ma J, Sigal RJ. Effects of aerobic and resistance training on abdominal fat, apolipoproteins and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein in adolescents with obesity: the HEARTY randomized clinical trial. Int J Obes (Lond). 2015 Oct;39(10):1494-500. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2015.133. Epub 2015 Jul 23. PMID: 26202452.
- Taheri, S., Lin, L., Austin, D., Young, T., & Mignot, E. (2004). Short sleep duration is associated with reduced leptin, elevated ghrelin, and increased body mass index. PLoS medicine, 1(3), e62.
- Park SH, Kim CG. Effects of aerobic exercise on waist circumference, VO2 max, blood glucose, insulin and lipid index in middle-aged women: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Health Care Women Int. 2021 Apr 7:1-23. doi: 10.1080/07399332.2021.1900190. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33825676.
- Sigal RJ, Alberga AS, Goldfield GS, Prud’homme D, Hadjiyannakis S, Gougeon R, Phillips P, Tulloch H, Malcolm J, Doucette S, Wells GA, Ma J, Kenny GP. Effects of aerobic training, resistance training, or both on percentage body fat and cardiometabolic risk markers in obese adolescents: the healthy eating aerobic and resistance training in youth randomized clinical trial. JAMA Pediatr. 2014 Nov;168(11):1006-14. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.1392. Erratum in: JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Aug;169(8):791. PMID: 25243536.
- Friedenreich CM, Neilson HK, O’Reilly R, Duha A, Yasui Y, Morielli AR, Adams SC, Courneya KS. Effects of a High vs Moderate Volume of Aerobic Exercise on Adiposity Outcomes in Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Oncol. 2015 Sep;1(6):766-76. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2015.2239. PMID: 26181634.
- West CE, Renz H, Jenmalm MC, Kozyrskyj AL, Allen KJ, Vuillermin P, Prescott SL; in-FLAME Microbiome Interest Group. The gut microbiota and inflammatory noncommunicable diseases: associations and potentials for gut microbiota therapies. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015 Jan;135(1):3-13; quiz 14. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2014.11.012. PMID: 25567038.
- Borgeraas H, Johnson LK, Skattebu J, Hertel JK, Hjelmesaeth J. Effects of probiotics on body weight, body mass index, fat mass and fat percentage in subjects with overweight or obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Obes Rev. 2018 Feb;19(2):219-232. doi: 10.1111/obr.12626. Epub 2017 Oct 18. PMID: 29047207.
- Crovesy L, Ostrowski M, Ferreira DMTP, Rosado EL, Soares-Mota M. Effect of Lactobacillus on body weight and body fat in overweight subjects: a systematic review of randomized controlled clinical trials. Int J Obes (Lond). 2017 Nov;41(11):1607-1614. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2017.161. Epub 2017 Jul 10. PMID: 28792488.
- Harpaz E, Tamir S, Weinstein A, Weinstein Y. The effect of caffeine on energy balance. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 2017 Jan 1;28(1):1-10. doi: 10.1515/jbcpp-2016-0090. PMID: 27824614.
- Lee A, Lim W, Kim S, Khil H, Cheon E, An S, Hong S, Lee DH, Kang SS, Oh H, Keum N, Hsieh CC. Coffee Intake and Obesity: A Meta-Analysis. Nutrients. 2019 Jun 5;11(6):1274. doi: 10.3390/nu11061274. PMID: 31195610; PMCID: PMC6628169.
- How to Lose Weight While Sleeping
- How to Stop Snoring While Sleeping
- How to Relieve Hip Pain While Sleeping
- How to Prevent Dry Mouth While Sleeping
- What Causes Leg Cramps While Sleeping
- How to Decompress Spine While Sleeping
- How to Clear a Stuffy Nose While Sleeping
- How to Increase Oxygen Levels While Sleeping
- How to Relieve Lower Back Pain While Sleeping
- How Many Calories Do You Burn While Sleeping
- What Should Your Heart Rate be While Sleeping
- What Causes Headaches at Night While Sleeping
- What Causes Extremely Dry Mouth While Sleeping
- How to Improve Circulation in Legs While Sleeping
- How to Relieve Back Pain During Pregnancy While Sleeping